Want the best chance to find a bottle of Bourbon County? Here’s the places who are getting the most allotment in Colorado Springs:
Cheers, Carson’s Wine and Liquor, MK Wine and Liquor, Veterans Liquor, Coaltrain, J&K Liquor
Here’s the full list:
|POWERS LIQUOR MART||Y|
|LIQUOR CITY FOUNTAIN|
|FT CARSON CLASS VI|
|COLORADO'S LIQUOR OUTLET|
|MONUMENT LIQUOR MART|
|MK WINE & LIQUOR||Y|
|PINE CREEK WINE & SPIRIT|
|COAL TRAIN LIQUOR||Y|
|WEBER ST LIQUOR||Y|
|J & K LIQUOR||Y|
|EAGLE WINE & SPIRIT|
|MONUMENT CORK N BTL.|
|PAFB CLASS SIX|
A week from Friday is that dreaded shopping holiday that many of us try to avoid all together. Luckily, Goose Island times their Bourbon County Stout release to coincide with Black Friday.
I know what you’re thinking, “but they’re owned by Bud!?”, and that would be correct. From what we can tell, it has only helped them expand their barrel program even further to release more beer and we can definitely guarantee the beer won’t taste like Bud Light Lime.
If you read only one line of this article, read this one:
If you want all 5 variants of Bourbon County, you’ll have to drive up to Denver.
So, for the past few weeks, we’ve been hounding Aaron Koenigseker, the High End State Manager for Colorado, Wyoming, Montana and Utah, to try to track down any semblance of information about this year’s release. Finally he came through.
Colorado Springs will most likely only see the Original and the Barleywine. We think they underestimated the demand for those types of beer down here, but alas our constantly perpetuated fast food nation stigma precedes us. Maybe next year…
Instead of actually answering our questions, Aaron got all meta on us and created his own questions. Here they are. Peruse through them if you’d like, but most of the release info is only applicable to Denver. As we find out more about places down here, we’ll make sure you all are in the know.
- It’s about time! So what variants are we getting here in Colorado? We are extremely privileged this year to get all four variants of BCS along with the Original: Coffee, Regal Rye, Barleywine and the rarest of Rare.
- No kidding!? So where can I get them? If you want to see all five varieties, you will have to go to a big store here in Denver. American Eagle in Loveland to the north is getting Barleywine and Rare; Littleton down south covering Highlands Ranch and some of the resorts is getting some Barleywine as well as Colorado Springs and Glenwood Springs. Everywhere else is getting Original which, if we’re honest, is good enough for anyone.
- What’s so special about the Rare? First, eat a whole bar of soap for being disrespectful. The Rare is rare because it’s only the second time a Rare has been released and this one is arguably even rarer. Heaven Hills Distillery found 35-year old bourbon barrels squirrelled away in their barrel house and offered them to Goose Island who said (and I quote), “why yes, we would love to.” They proceeded to put BCS Original in these unique vessels and aged them for two years, imparting an incredible bourbon, chocolate and vanilla flavor profile. Got it?
- Okay, are we getting the four-packs again? Nope, we’re getting the special, first time ever, formed 16.9oz glass bottles, each variety neck-flagged with their own color. Additionally, the Rare comes in a special collectors wooden slide box that trust me, looks and smells absolutely outstanding. I might have fondled one.
- Sweet! How much are they going to run me? Each retailer sets their own prices. I don’t know what the prices are going to be at each store. Rare will be pricey.
- Whatever, I’m rich, how many of each will I be allowed to get? Again, like pricing, we do not set policy within stores. I would expect limitations of one of each per customer at most places, but can’t promise anything.
- So what lucky stores are getting to see me Friday morning? Some are getting more than others so get in line early. Argonaut is our marquee release location with the most product and some giveaways.
- North: Total Beverage
- Boulder: Hazel’s and Superior
- Downtown: Argonaut
- West: Tipsy’s
- South: Chambers Liquors and Lowry Liquors
- What about some draught action? We are getting all varieties in 1/6bbl draught here in Denver except for Rare which doesn’t come in draught at all. No other Colorado distributor is getting draught.
- Aw man! Well, where can I get some draught here in Denver then? I only have the initially allocated on-premise accounts for next week. After that, it is in the wholesalers’ hands. Expect the usual high-end suspects as BCS doesn’t go to just anyone. These accounts may be doing something on Wednesday or Friday and will only be getting limited (read: 1-2 1/6bbl and/or 1-2 cases) of one or two varieties so get there early or buy tickets as needed. Start Googling.
- North: Kachina in the Westin Westminster and Lodo’s Westminster
- Boulder area: Oak on 14th and West End
- Downtown: Falling Rock and Cheeky Monk
- Highlands: Acorn and Old Major
- South: Stoney’s and Parry’s Highlands Ranch
- I’m so happy! How can I tell all my friends (aka, gloat) about my big BCS finds? Make sure you use the Twitters, Facebooks and all the interwebs to inflict maximum jealousy damage. Use the hashtags below to spread your euphoria worldwide!
- Use #BourbonCountyStout when talking about the beer itself.
- Use #GooseBlackFriday when talking about the release day.
- Use #GritAndGrain when talking about the documentary about Bourbon County Stout.
- But what should I do while I’m waiting for Black Friday? Call your mom, donate some warm clothing, relax with a Goose Honkers or IPA and watch the incredible Making of Bourbon County video, Grit and Grain. It really is amazing and very well done.
- Grit & Grain homepage: http://www.gooseisland.com/gritandgrain.html
- Grit & Grain YouTube Teaser playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOJR7wtQcXo&index=2&list=PLo63v1zZZC4JbWwuCcNV3BrZDWvdXGHW1
- Grit & Grain Full Episode playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxVhYr0OH58&list=PLo63v1zZZC4KfZ3smSSssMdIkqpRCEc1U
- Wow! How could this be even better? Many locations will also be featuring other Goose Island beers, often from the Vintage Series like Sofie, Matilda and Lolita which are also darned fine beverages. So many ways to class up your life.
- Hey, can you get me a few on the side? No, sorry.
- Come on, seriously, just one Rare? No.
- How about an Original instead? We’re done here.
As we find more info, we’ll continually update this so you all know where to wait in line next Friday!